23 September 2012

"And I will die a voodoo chile."

People offen ask me, Grampa Oogey Boogey, how is it dat you's a grampa, and you ain't got no kids? And I tell 'em true, I got no kids cuz, I fell in love wit a woman wit a tilted uterus. Dat's what dem doctors tell us. It waddn't dat dere waddn't enough love between us. We got plenty a dat. Plenty a love. Lovin' an' lovin' every mornin' an' every night. But da babies just falled right outta her. I figure dat whoever job it was ta be designin' mah cher spent so much time makin' her outsides lookin' fine, dat dey run outta time on her insides an' done a sloppy job. When mah cher lost chile numba fo', she got to be real sad, cryin' an' cryin' everyday. One day, she cryin' an' I pick her up in my arms, an' I say, "Mah cher, it's gon' be alright, it's gon' be just fine, cuz we already got babies of our own. All dem voodoo chill'en out dere, dem's our babies. All dem li'l chill'en who believe in magic, dat's our chile." And she stopped her cryin', and she smiled at me, and she said, "Honey, I do believe dat's some load a bullshit." She lef' me not long afta dat, moved to Florida an' took up wit one a dem smooth-skinned Hispanics. Not a day goes by dat I ain't missin' mah cher. She was wrong about dem voodoo chill'en, no—dem's mah babies and dem always gon' be mah babies an' I love 'em all just like dey was mah own blood. Dat's what voodoo does. Dat magic gets up in your blood, and you's chained to all dem other voodoo chill'ens like dey was yo' own. And, well, I'm an ol' man now. Ol' Grampa Oogey Boogey, and I still got dat magic in my blood dat every voodoo chile got. I'm still chained, and I'll stay chained til dey put me in da ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to ask.