12 April 2012

Man and Wife

Here is the crappy AIS story I wrote like 3 years ago. Basically, I've been through my computer and deleting things, and I keep finding things that I forgot I wrote. Someday I will maybe rewrite this, though this is the second version of it. Originally, they were ice skaters. I probably have that one somewhere, too. I think this was when I wanted everything I did to be plot driven and not character driven, and I don't really know.


           “Adam Birch?  I ain’t seen you since you were in the ninth grade!  You must be graduated by now.  That right?” Mrs. Jameson asked, walking up to the glass counter of the butcher’s shop.
           “Good afternoon, Mrs. Jameson.  Yeah, two years ago.”  Adam added quietly, “First in my class.”
           “I always knew you’d do well!  You got a good head on your shoulders.  You goin’ to school?  A smart boy like you oughta get himself a college education.”
           “No, ma’am.   Can I help you pick anything out today?  We got a real nice special on this smoked turkey and we—“
           “Last I remember, you had a pretty little girlfriend.  What was her name?” She struggled to remember, Adam offering no help.  Finally, it came to her, “Eva Jane! Eva Jane Wilson.  That was it.  Whatever happened to little Eva Jane?  You were absolutely head over heels for her.”
           “I never knew a girl named Eva Jane, ma’am,” Adam replied coolly as he bent down to reposition a large ham in the display. 
           “What do you mean you didn’t know her?  I was sure you two would have tied the knot by now!” the old woman cried, obviously befuddled. 
“I mean just what I said, ma’am.  I do not know any girl by the name of Eva Jane, and as of now, it doesn’t seem that marriage is for me.”
“I remember driving you to her dance recital when your mama wouldn’t take you.  You had the look of a man in love about you; you couldn’t have been but fourteen,” she recalled, a bit defensive of her memory.
           “Look, Mrs. Jameson, it’s real nice seeing you again, and I really appreciate you stopping by, but I’m afraid I’m gonna have to go on in the back now and check on some tenderloin we just got in.”  And with that he vanished behind a metal door in the back of the shop.
***
           When Adam Birch was fifteen years old, his father went to the store for cigarettes and never came back.  The day that Adam’s father disappeared was a sad one, but the day that Eva Jane Wilson turned him down hurt him much worse.  They were both fourteen when they met in Mrs. Hutchinson’s biology class.  It was December.  Mrs. Hutchinson explained how Eva Jane’s family had just moved to Littleton from Houston, and she would be joining their class.  She was tall for her age and very thin, with a sly smile and hair the color of vanilla icing.  She always dressed in pink; on this specific occasion she wore a rose-colored sweater and matching ribbon in her hair.
           After taking a seat at the desk behind Adam, Eva Jane tapped on his shoulder and whispered, “What’s your name?”
           “I-it’s Ad-Adam.” An arrogant smile spread over her glossy bubble-gum lips when he stuttered.
           It took him two weeks to work up the courage to speak to her again after that.  It was a simple plan.  He was just going to turn to her and say, “Eva Jane, I would like to take you to the movies on Friday.” But when he turned around he caught the gaze of her green eyes, and all that he could get out was “Uh, um, c-can I borrow a pencil?”
“But you have a pencil in your hand,” she responded, giggling.
After several more of these failed attempts at talking to Eva Jane, Adam became frustrated.  By February, he was determined to tell her how he felt, even if it meant risking humiliation.  Walking to Mrs. Hutchinson’s class on Valentine’s Day, Adam found Eva Jane and nervously shoved a bouquet of pink daisies in her direction. 
“Oh, Adam, these are beautiful.  And they’re my favorite color.  Thank you so much.” She looked at the flowers with remorse and then said the words that would give Adam his first heartbreak. “But I can’t accept them.  I have a boyfriend back in Houston.  I’m really sorry.”
She tried to hand the flowers back to Adam, but he wouldn’t take them.  “Keep them.  They’re yours.” He hoped that some over-sized senior would come by and shove him into a locker so that he wouldn’t have to face the rest of the day.  
After the rejection, Adam spent biology class trying to will his body to disintegrate one cell at a time and disappear slowly into the cracks in the floor. It wasn’t until a gut-wrenching week later that Eva Jane slipped him the life-altering note after biology saying that she had broken up with the boy from Houston.
***
“Don’t act like this is my fault, Eva Jane,” Adam yelled as his wife slammed the door to the bathroom and locked herself in.  “Evie! Please don’t do this.  Not again. Please open the door, honey.”
“I told you it’d be negative, Adam.  I told you, and you made me take it, anyway.  I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t believe me,” she said through broken sobs.  “I can’t do this anymore, Adam, I just can’t.  I’m going back to my parents’ house.”  She burst through the bathroom door, and Adam gently caught her arm.  She turned toward him, her eyes as pink as her sundress, and stared bitterly into his face as if she were ready to spit in it.
“Evie, please don’t leave.  This isn’t my fault, baby.  Maybe you should have Dr. McGill check you out just to make sure you’re okay. Maybe you should just go see,” Adam said, trying hard not to cry as he caught her seething expression.
“There’s nothing wrong with me, goddamnit!” she wailed, breaking away from his grasp and storming down the hall.  “Why do we need kids now, anyway?  We have our whole lives ahead of us to have kids! Why can’t now just be about us?”
“Is it so hard to believe that there’s a chance you’re not perfect, Eva Jane?” Adam cried after her.  He took a deep breath, realizing that he was losing his temper.  “If you care about the future of this family, you’ll go to the doctor.  You’ll do it for us.”
Eva Jane turned back to her husband, eyes full of tears, and said, “I’m sorry, baby.  I’ll go.  You know how bad I want us to have a baby.  I don’t know why it’s so hard for us.”
Adam hugged her and let her sob into the sleeve of his sweatshirt as he whispered, “It’ll be okay, honey.  We’ll be okay.”
***
After his encounter with Mrs. Jameson, Adam closed up shop early and began walking home.  He hoped his mama wouldn’t find out, if she did, he would never heard the end of it, but Adam had too much on his mind to continue working.  When he got home, he flopped down on his bed.  For a second, he considered turning on the T.V. but instead resolved to lay in silence.  The image of Mrs. Jameson’s wrinkled face, asking, “What happened to little Eva Jane?” haunted him.  Everyone in Littleton had heard about Eva Jane leaving, and, of course, they had all heard about it when the state of Texas declared that Adam’s marriage to her was not legal.  But still, small town living being what it was, everyone asked Adam questions about her as if they had no idea that anything had ever gone wrong.
Adam was never fond of social situations, especially when people he barely knew pried into his personal life just for a bit of town gossip.  Eva Jane never had a problem with these kinds of things.  She could pirouette around the most difficult personal questions with the same grace that she showed off in her ballet recitals.  Adam remembered the rumor going around senior year that Eva Jane was carrying his child. 
One day in the lunchroom, Sheena Darby, a mousy junior with braces came over to their table.  “Eva Jane, you were picked as the ‘Star of the Week’ for this week, so I was just wondering if it would be okay if I interviewed you for the ‘Star of the Week’ section in the Blue and Gold?” she asked, trying to sound professional.  Eva Jane motioned for Sheena to sit down while biting into an apple.  Sheena asked a lot of routine questions:  favorite class, favorite teacher, hobbies, favorite band.  The interview was going well until Sheena slipped in what she thought was a cute joke, “And I guess I have to ask about your views on parenthood.”
Unfazed, Eva Jane responded, “My parents are great.”
“Oh, no, I was kind of talking about how you feel about becoming a parent yourself?”
“Well, after I finish high school, I might like to settle down and have a few kids, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves, Sheena.”  Eva Jane started giggling to herself, “Why?  Do you need some advice?  Are you planning on popping out a couple of babies by this time next year?  Are you and Joey gonna start a family now that he’s making the big bucks up at McDonald’s?” Sheena walked away, her cheeks a telling shade of scarlet.
***
Eva Jane and Adam were still in bed when the phone call came.  Neither had any intentions of getting up to answer it.  Adam’s mother made a habit of calling often and early in the morning.  Knowing that she had a hard time being alone, the couple tolerated her calls but didn’t always answer them.
“Baby, what if it’s the doctor?  Maybe you should answer it,” Adam suggested, nudging his wife.
“You answer it,” she said, groggily putting her pillow over her head to save her ears from the incessant ringing. 
It was nearly a week after Eva Jane had been to the doctor, and she hadn’t mentioned anything to her husband about the outcome of her appointment.  He was starting to suspect that she was infertile, but if this was the case, he thought it best to let her break it to him in her own time rather than bringing it up.  However, Adam was forced to hear the news of Eva Jane’s infertility long before she intended for him to, once he picked up the phone.
“Hello?” he said into the receiver, trying to suppress a yawn.
“Adam, honey?  It’s me.”  He was somewhat disappointed at the unmistakable drawl of his mother in his ear.
“Good morning, Mama.  What d’ya need?”
“Well, sugar, I was just wondering why you been keepin’ secrets from your Mama.”
“What secrets, Mama?” Adam asked through a yawn.
“Don’t you play stupid with me, boy.  A very close friend of mine from my Thursday prayer group, just so happens to be the receptionist up at Dr. McGill’s office, and she told me that Miss Eva Jane Birch came up and paid a visit to the doctor last week and left the office crying.  Do you wanna explain to me why she would leave the doctor crying?”
Adam looks in Eva Jane’s direction and then said quietly as he got up and went into the other room, “Mama, I swear, I don’t know anything about that.  Whatever happened, she must be real upset about it.  She hasn’t even told me yet.”
“Well, in my day, families didn’t keep secrets from each other!  Especially—“
He started getting defensive.  “Mama, shush!  Eva Jane will tell us about it when she’s ready.  It’s not your business, anyway”
“Oh really?  I think it is my business if my son’s wife isn’t even a woman.”
“What are you talking about, Mama?  Of course she’s a woman.” He laughed at his mother’s absurdity. “I think I would have noticed by now if she wasn’t.” 
“No, Adam.  Dr. McGill says she’s not.  There’s something not right about her.  Hell, the whole thing doesn’t even sound Christian to me.  I’m sorry to be the one to break it to you, hun.  Look, the girls from book club are here, now, I’m going to have to call you back.”  And then just a dial tone was left in Adam’s ear.
***
Even now, lying on the bed alone, Adam could not wrap his head around his lover’s supposed sex.  He had looked at least a thousand times at the pamphlets and print-outs that the doctor had given Eva Jane and had made countless trips to the library to research her genetic disorder.  He picked a familiar pamphlet off of the nightstand and looked over it.  Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS): If you or your loved one is afflicted by AIS, understanding the disorder is an important part of dealing with it.  A person with AIS has the genetic makeup of a male, but his body is resistant to male hormones.  As a result, the person will have most physical traits of a female, including breasts and a vagina, but will be infertile and may possess undescended testes in the abdomen or other abnormal places within the body.  Sometimes these develop into hernias… Adam shivered picturing testes in Eva Jane’s abdomen, where they’d hoped a baby would grow.  He didn’t understand how it was possible for the woman that he loved to be considered male.  Adam wondered how long his wife had known that something was amiss with her body and how long she had chosen not to tell him.
Regardless, Eva Jane was the most beautiful woman he had ever known.  He could still picture her at that ballet recital that Mrs. Jameson had mentioned.  Adam was not at all interested in ballet, but when she came out on stage in her pink leotard, he knew he wouldn’t be able to look away from her for a second.  When she took her bow, he recognized the same sly smile spreading over her face as the first time they’d met.
Eva Jane went straight to Angelina’s Dance Studio every day after school, and she never came home until after dark.  After high school, she worked there full-time giving ballet classes and still practiced on her own when she could.  Dancing kept her very thin.  She was always conscious of what she ate, but she danced so much that it almost didn’t matter.  Adam had thought at first that perhaps this was the reason that she couldn’t get pregnant.  He was never really clear as to whether or not she was able to menstruate.  Adam had heard, “Not tonight, baby,” enough times to chalk up at least a few of them to monthly female biology, though it had never been explicitly mentioned.  Adam thought hard and remembered how things were before she left.  She kept a box of sanitary napkins under the sink in the bathroom, but they seemed to remain untouched.  He wanted to believe that she didn’t know, but it seemed impossible.  Even if Eva Jane’s secret had cost them their marriage and their pride, there was still part of Adam that wanted her to come back.
***
Within two weeks of the phone call from Adam’s mother, all of Littleton knew about Eva Jane’s disorder.  Most people didn’t know anything about AIS and took the gossip to mean that she was hiding a penis under her skirt.  The fact that her genetic coding said that she was male was enough for most people to give her dirty looks when she went out in public.  Parents started forcing their daughters to withdraw from her dance classes.  Eva Jane and Adam’s house became the target of acts of vandalism.  One morning, Adam went out to get the mail, only to find that the mailbox had been smashed in.  A few weeks later, someone egged their house.  Adam finally went to the sheriff when someone spray-painted “FREAKS” on their front door in red.  Unfortunately, the police didn’t provide the help that the Birches had hoped.
“Mr. Adam Birch?  It’s a lucky thing that you came in here.  I was gonna have to track you down myself.” Adam looked slightly confused as the sheriff extended his hand for Adam to shake.  “I’m Sheriff Buck Stevens.  I don’t know that we’ve officially met.”
“Good to meet you, sir.  I’m actually here about some vandalism on my property.  In the past few weeks there’ve been quite a few instances—“
“We’ll get to that in a minute, Mr. Birch, but first, I need to let you know about something that has been brought to my attention as Sheriff.”  Adam nodded.  “Well, back in ’99 down in San Antonio there was a case where a man had a sex-change operation.” He stumbled with pronouns before continuing, “She…It…He?  He married a man just outside of San Antonio.  Man died, and the ‘wife’ tried to file a claim against the doctor who has treated her ‘husband.’”  The Sheriff paused for a second, searching for the correct way to phrase the next part of his story.  “He, the man who had the sex-change operation, lost the case because the court ruled that in the state of Texas ain’t legal for a person with male DNA to marry another person with male DNA.  Doesn’t matter what their…you know…looks like.”
“I think I can guess where you’re headed with this, Sheriff.”  Adam sighed.
“Well, some concerned citizens of Littleton have brought your wife, Miss—would she be a ‘miss’?” he mused, half to himself.
“Of course she’s a Miss!” Adam snapped.
“Well, like I was saying, Eva Jane Wilson’s disorder has been brought to my attention, Mr. Birch, and I’m sorry to have to tell you this, but the state of Texas ain’t going to legally recognize your marriage.”
“Me and Eva Jane have been together for years, and now you’re just gonna tell me our marriage doesn’t count?” He tried not to yell but found it difficult to restrain himself.
“Well, Sir, I’m sorry.  Y’all can keep living together if you want to, but your marriage isn’t gonna be recognized.  It’s something to keep in mind while you’re doing your taxes, I guess.”  With that, Adam stormed out of the Sheriff’s office.
***
“We’ll move.  We’ll just move somewhere else.  Louisiana’s not too far away…right?  I have family in Oklahoma.  What about Florida?  I always wanted to live on the beach.  We could live right on the beach, baby.  It’ll be okay, right, baby?  Right?” she said, failing to hold back tears.
“Evie, you know I can’t leave Littleton.  My pa’s shop is here.  Mama will lose it if I don’t stay and help out.  And what would I do for work?  I been here my whole life.”
“Adam, I been in Texas my whole life, too, but this marriage matters more to me than that.”
“Baby, I don’t care if the state says that we’re married.  I just care about you.  I love you more than anything, and they’re not taking you away from me.  We’ll just keep on living here together, and everything will be alright,” Adam said as he held her.
“No, nothing is right, Adam.  I don’t even know who I am.  I’m not married!  Half the town thinks I’m a freak!  Maybe I am a freak.  I’m not even a woman!  I have no idea who the hell I am anymore!” she cried hysterically.
“You’re my Evie.”
“That’s not enough, Adam.  I’m nothing!  I’m no one!”
All he could do was let her collapse into his arms as she continued to sob.
***
Adam rolled over in the lonely bed that he had once shared with his wife, wishing that he’d meet her glowing green eyes as he turned, but instead he just met the gaze of his digital clock.  It was just past two in the morning.  Adam thought about all of the places that Eva Jane could have run to.  She had mentioned family in Oklahoma, but Adam doubted that she would have chosen a place where people knew her.  He tried picturing her on a beach in a pink bathing suit, smiling that familiar smile, but he couldn’t shake the thought that she could just as easily be at the bottom of a lake somewhere.  He tried to picture her laughing and collecting shells or building a sand castle.  Once his thoughts became too much for him, Adam shuffled through the drawer of his nightstand for the Tylenol P.M., took four capsules, and got back in bed.
***
Adam awoke to the sound of his telephone ringing.  After looking at the clock, he realized that it could only be his mother calling to complain at him for being four hours late to work.  He elected not to answer it.  Instead, he grabbed his duffel bag out of the closet and started throwing clothes inside.   Adam grabbed his toothbrush and a few other essentials and tossed them in the bag.  Before zipping it, he remembered the wedding picture on his dresser and placed it in the duffel bag, as well.  He locked up the house and put his bag in his truck.  Taking a deep breath, he climbed inside.  He didn’t quite know how to get to Florida or how many beaches he was going to have to comb looking for his wife, but it didn’t matter.  The hope that he was somehow closer to falling asleep next to her again would be enough to lull him to sleep every night and to pull him out of bed every morning. 
As Adam started his truck, he realized that there was something that he needed to do before he left town.  He looked around for a pen and some paper, but had to settle for an old paper grocery bag and a Sharpie.  He wrote, “Thank you for reminding me what matters.”  He drove about six miles down the gravel road and placed the bag in Mrs. Jameson’s mailbox. 
Adam bought a map at a gas station twenty miles outside of Littleton, fully aware that the journey ahead would be a long one.  As he began to make his way out of Texas, he realized that whether or not he found Eva Jane, Littleton wasn’t where he belonged anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to ask.