11 April 2013

An Ashtray of Apologies Emptied into a Litany


A beta fish floating belly up like a ballet dancer, fins unfurled like silk scarves do you forgive me now
My father shouting because his porridge was too cold and momma’s was too hot do you forgive me now
Not nearly enough applause for the little girl in drag singing Danny’s parts in Grease do you forgive me now

Most people will eat your heart raw rather than go without dinner do you forgive me now
It is impossible to let go of a girl who smells like white paint do you forgive me now
I am a fifth-grader picking out paper Valentines at the drug store for my sweetheart do you forgive me now

Your nonchalance when you told me she likes your hair in braids do you forgive me now
Your mouth when you called yourself a starving artist do you forgive me now
Your body when I eventually confessed that you were crushing me do you forgive me now

I may never know what it feels like to compose the Great American Tweet do you forgive me now
I may never know what the tulips in Holland in springtime look like do you forgive me now
Your face might always be the last thing that I see before I fall asleep do you forgive me now

An existence finally free of girls who perpetually stink of appletini do you forgive me now
My writing desk splattered with blood and sticky black paint do you forgive me now
Ten billion unheard words I wrote all with one swirl of a girl in mind do you forgive me now

Your trust in girls with horn-rimmed glasses and an affinity for Ayn Rand do you forgive me now
The ramshackle confidence of adult children who resemble fifties superheroes do you forgive me now
My own two feet now so calloused that they click like coconuts against hardwood do you forgive me now

That time that I used Sylvia Plath’s suicide note to deride a fellow storyteller do you forgive me now
Finding a typed letter on the kitchen counter requesting my departure do you forgive me now
The ghost of our compulsive romance walking from bedroom to bedroom do you forgive me now

Reading the Lotus Sutra in a language that may or may not be Japanese do you forgive me now
Digging my fingernails into the back of my neck until I feel blood do you forgive me now
Walking until I don’t recognize my body and I can’t recall where I’ve been do you forgive me now

A mermaid who will learn to breathe underwater when you cry your oceans do you forgive me now
The significance of the Hebrew alphabet and Edward Teller and your birthday do you forgive me now
Respect for anyone volunteering to catalogue their insides for a bunch of strangers do you forgive me now

Making money felt more practical than making a living do you forgive me now
Tonight ten thousand people procreate because kids seem like the next step do you forgive me now
No matter how many poems I write my feelings will be delivered stillborn do you forgive me now

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to ask.