11 April 2013

Landlubber

Getting onto the ship of a stranger strung out on something and arriving at my destination unscathed
Losing consciousness, being hoisted onto a sweat-soaked sailor's back, sucking ice from his wife's glass
Two albatross: the one with the crumpled wing clinging to the strong one, I watch them brave the waves

When sewing the sails I could not help but want to stitch her a new skin out of silk so that she'd feel less insecure about her scars
I cannot taste saltwater without being reminded of how much I'd like to suck the sin out of her, get a mouthful of what gets her off,
The slapping of the sea more than anything makes me want to chain her to my bedpost until I've convinced her to be my scoundrel

I sent her a slew of messages floating in half-shattered bottles dripping with vodka and vitriol
I swallowed my sorry words with some skull and cross bones pills and a bottle of port
I thought I'd let the wine breathe once it was in my bloodstream—I uncorked my veins and out it came

In the name of love I swam out to see if the wanting really would come in waves and it did
She has love to thank for the day that I washed up on her shore, despite my better judgment,
And it is only out of love for her that I do not submit to her siren song and drift back to her today


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to ask.