21 April 2013

The Fifth


You ask me if I can claim responsibility
For the fifth of fermented chocolate milk
Found rotting in the bottom of his closet

You ask me if it was I who took scissors
To every scrap of red fabric I could get my hands on
And sewed scarlet A’s to each outfit he owned

You ask me if I have an alibi for the fifth of October
When his mattress was found frying on the fire escape
Charred black and speckled with animal excrement

You ask me if it’s true the I was the one to blame
For the strands of pink hair stuck to his sheets
Left for his poor wife to pluck from her pillowcase

You ask me if I am the type who likes it rough
The kind who carries a pair of handcuffs in her purse
Should she happen to meet the right kind of guy

You ask me if it is true that I was begging for
The rug-burned back and blue-tinged bruises and broken nose
That he so generously bestowed upon me

You ask me if I’m a flirty sort of drunk and wasn’t I
On my fifth vodka tonic the night I first agreed
To slip into the passenger seat of his Prius

You ask me what I was thinking heading over
To his place in a dress like that at night all alone
If I wasn’t on birth control and wasn’t looking for trouble

Well, Officer, in my defense, all I can do is plead the fifth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to ask.